Monday, May 10, 2010

Online Schooling

So, I've just about rounded the one year mark of being back in school. The things I've learned are awesome and I use most of them (except biology) daily. I do love school, however, I've noticed a few downsides to completing my degree online.

1) Working full time and going to school full time puts a damper on non-school/non-work relationships
2) No summer break
3) Weekends are spent studying and writing papers in stead of fishing or reading (for pleasure)
4) The release of Lego: Harry Potter in June will be missed and I will either postpone playing it until my fall break or take a Friday off to finish school work so that Saturday and Sunday can be dedicated to the awesome Lego game
5) The amount of caffeine taken in via AMP or Mt. Dew per hour is directly related this complex equation:

where cf = C8H10N4O2


{This is a joke equation}


6) The amount of time spent on the computer NOT playing games is frightening
7) Suddenly everything not dealing with an online class becomes an obsession...for example, I've taken up knitting in order to put off schoolwork
8) Procrastination is increased as you don't have to actually 'show up' for class, just log in and let it sit there for 30 minutes or so.
9) Never meeting the professor is a bit of a pain...then again, meeting the professor could be a pain... ;)
10) There is an increase in body mass due to the lack of stairs and paths being walked that you would typically find on campus. (this is the one that I notice most)

All in all, I love school. The professors have all been great to work with so far and the things that I am learning are useful in everyday life. One year down and Three more to go!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you're (mostly) enjoying school! I'm taking one online class now, but I think I'll try to take more, because as you said, working full time & going to school full time has its drawbacks... I'm so wishing I would have taken psychology online... >_< I have the hardest time going to that class... gah... Hope you have a good day. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking math right now and it is not fun. I've spent the last hour trying to remember how to figure out what a real number is and all that bullshit. Hopefully it comes back really quick 'cause I have ~150 problems to do by EOD Saturday and 2quizes to take. :-/

    Oh, on a plus side, I got a good laugh while Ellen and I were at lunch today. We saw some really old icky hooker getting into some old guys car. It was pretty gross.

    ReplyDelete